Training health care teams in intercultural communication and patient safety 2015-2017
Aim and Objectives
This IENE 5 project addressed the complex issue of patient safety, failure of which results in millions of patient safety incidents each year, with severe consequences and unnecessary suffering for patients and their families as well as millions of public Euro in compensation.
The project aimed at increasing the knowledge and skills of members of healthcare teams, in three major areas: Intercultural communication, Working in multicultural teams and Patient safety.
The project’s specific objectives are:
- To identify the training needs of nurses and other health professionals in terms of intercultural communication skills and capacity of working in MMHTs, in order to match their skills to the competences demanded for safe patient care;
- To create an innovative European Training Model aiming to promote knowledge and skills of intercultural communication, working in MMHTs and patient safety by developing training content, learning and evaluation tools, which is available on the project website;
- To build a MOOC (Massive Open On-line Course) containing learning and self-assessment activities and tools, which are highly interactive and based on co-learning and co-creation;
- To train approximately 50 facilitators from the participating countries to support and guide the learners’ communities on the MOOC, whilst undertaking their own developments and innovations, aimed at future MOOC developments;
- To develop skills of intercultural communication between members of MMHTs and patient safety for 150 participants recruited from the project’s partner countries and approximately 500 nurses and health care professionals from across the world, through their participation in the training on the created MOOC;
- Middlesex University, London, UK
- EDUNET Organization, Craiova, Romania
- Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Senese, Siena, Italy
- University College Lillebaelt, Denmark
- Cyprus University of Technology, Limassol, Cyprus
Main results available at www.ieneproject.eu
- Needs assessment Report EN
- Training Model EN RO IT EL DK
- Curriculum EN
- Handbook for MOOC facilitators EN
- MOOC Best Practice Guide EN
Website : www.ieneproject.eu
|This project was funded with the support of the European Commission under the Erasmus + VET Strategic Partnerships Program.